At the moment we have
74 | Cars in Stock
||1967 | Glas - 1700 GT Coupe
||1967 | Glas - 1700 GT Coupe
Chassis# 211-005710, matching numbers, this Glas 1700 GT appears to be one of the 300 Glas GT's which were brought to the US by Max Hoffmann the general importer of Glas for the US market, however this car has on the side the sign "Prototipo" and was intensively tested at Road Atlanta in 1967 (Car and Driver of January 1968).
This Glas needs a complete restoration, a rare car and also pretty unknown in the USA
Cylinder: 4 cylinder, 4 cycle inline water-cooled motor
Displacement: 1682 cc
Horsepower: 100 HP
Ext. Color: Light Blue
Int. Color: Black
4 cylinder, 4 cycle inline water-cooled motor, two 40 RH side draft carburetor by Solex, 4-speed manual transmission (also available with a 5-speed manual transmission), single disk dry clutch, rear wheel drive with split drive shaft, all steel unibody construction, independent front wheel suspension and fixed rear axle with leaf springs and Panhard stabilizer link, hydraulic disk brakes up front and drum brakes in the rear, 6 volt electrical system, length: 159.64", width: 61.02" height: 50.39"wheelbase: 91.33", tires 155 HR 14, curb weight: 2024 lbs, top speed: 114 mls/h, fuel consumption: 19.60 miles/Gallon, tank capacity: 14 Gallons
Information provided by the Glas Club
Hans Glas GmbH is a former German automotive company, which was based in Dingolfing. Originally a maker of farm machinery, Glas evolved first into a producer of motor scooters, then automobiles. It was purchased by BMW in 1966, with its limited model range shortly phased out by its new parent
Mechanic Andreas Glas founded a repair company for agricultural machines at 1895 in Pilsting. He named the company Andreas Glas, Reparaturwerkstätte für landwirtschaftliche Maschinen mit Dampfbetrieb (in English: Andreas Glas, repair-shop for steam-powered agricultural machines). During the summer periods about 16 people worked for him. In 1905 Andreas Glas' company built their first sowing machines. He then had sufficient work to employ all his employees during the winters. The production of sowing machines rose from year to year.
Since 1905 Glas had a branch office in Dingolfing. He started to produce in Dingolfing in 1908 with 150 sowing machines per year. The production count rose each year.
After World War II, the market for sowing machines was getting smaller and smaller. So the company had to decide what it would produce in the future. It decided to build little carrows and later working machines for bakers next to the sowing machines.
the 1700 GT from May 1965 until September of 1967. Altogether only 5,378 GTs were built including the 362 convertibles. Out of those two thirds were 1300 and one third 1700 GTs. In Germany the cars were priced between US$2,900 and US$3,460. The price for the convertible was about US$250 more than a coupe with the same options.
Officially nearly three hundred GT coupes were exported into the USA. It was offered in the USA for US$3,785.
Glas were known for small cars like the Goggomobil. However in 1964 the company introduced the Glas 1300GT coupe and later the 1700GT. The body was designed by Pietro Frua. However competition, mostly from British cars, was tough and in 1966 released the 2600GT powered by a SOHC V8 engine, with a volume just under 2.6 litres. However this didn't help and later the same year the company was sold to BMW. The Glas models were kept in production by BMW, but fitted with BMW engines. The Glas 1300 GT coupe was fitted with a 1.6 litre BMW engine and renamed BMW 1600 GT. BMW also fitted a 3 litre engine and named it 3000 GT. This model kept the Glas name, but had a BMW logo in the front and rear. In 1968 BMW created their own large coupe, the BMW 2500 CS, and this meant the end for Glas. 277 copies of 2600 GT was made and 389 of the 3000 GT.